Staying In: A Fresh Blueberry Tart Recipe to Share with Friends
While it's certainly been fun cooking at home for ourselves during quarantine, we do miss times spent cooking together with our friends. It's in that spirit that Chef Zoe Kanan – the former head baker for Simon & The Whale in New York City – concocted the below recipe in collaboration with Natoora Grocery Delivery for a fresh blueberry tart, inspired by a dish she enjoyed last year by Chef Moko Hirayama of the Paris restaurant Mokonuts Bakery. "It was a simple treat with generous spirit, which is my favorite way to eat at home or anywhere else," she says. Think of it as the perfect dish to enjoy while Zoom socializing.
Blueberry Filling Ingredients
∙ 3 pints blueberries
∙ Sugar to taste
∙ 1 lemon, juiced and zested
∙ Picked sage, lime leaf, or any herb of choice
Honeyed Ricotta Ingredients
∙ 300g ricotta
∙ Lemon zest
∙ Salt to taste
Cornmeal Shortbread Ingredients
∙ 100g Cornmeal
∙ 100g Pastry flour
∙ 90g Sugar
∙ 5g Salt
∙ 40g Yolks
∙ 175g Butter, cubed, room temp
1) Wash, dry, and sort the berries. Place 2 handfuls in a pot and crush. Add lemon juice, sugar to taste, and aromatics and cook down into a loose compote to concentrate flavors. Cool completely then fold through the berries and season with lemon zest.
2) Season ricotta. Use a hand blender or food processor to process until smooth.
3) Whisk the dry ingredients together. Cut in butter with a fork until the mixture looks like bread crumbs. Cut in yolks until a uniform dough forms. Press into a 9” springform pan. Bake at 350F for 35 minutes or until golden throughout.
4) Spread the ricotta in an even layer over the cooled shortbread. Spoon the blueberry filling on top and press down slightly to secure to the base. Unhinge the ring of the springform pan and gently lift to remove.
5) Garnish with a drizzle of honey, coriander berries (or delicate herbs/flowers), and a few drops of olive oil. Slice to serve.
The Related Life is written and produced by the Related Life Editorial Team. Be sure to follow us on Facebook and Instagram for the latest events, news and announcements in your area, and tag us for a chance to be featured @therelatedlife and #therelatedlife.