Staying In: The Ultimate Greek Comfort Food with Milos Chef Maria Tampakis
In these difficult times, it's important to find activities and tasks to do that will keep you feeling productive and centered. We can't think of a more enriching and nurturing task than cooking a delicious meal, which is why we asked Chef Maria Tampakis, the head chef at Estiatorio Milos in Hudson Yards to share easy recipes with us that you can make using pantry staples.
This week, we’re making roast chicken gyros, creamy Greek tzatziki, salad and spreads. These cozy foods are healthy, and perfect to share as a weekend meal at home with the family. Keep checking in every week for another recipe. And as always, make sure you wash your hands before you eat!
|∙ 2 tablespoons chopped dill
∙ 1 cucumber
∙ 1 cup yogurt
∙ ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
∙ ½ pack feta
∙ 1 pita/ wrap
∙ 1 lemon
|∙ ½ red onion
∙ 1 tomato
∙ 1 small clove garlic
∙ ½ cup veg oil or avocado oil
∙ 1 lemon
∙ ½ red pepper
Equipment: Box Grater, Knife, Cutting Board, 2 bowls, whisk, saute pan, Blender (not necessary)
Tzatziki: Best made 1 or 2 days ahead
1. Grate ½ cucumber on a box grater, season with salt and set to the side.
2. Using a fine grater, grate garlic or chop it up as finely as possible.
3. After 20 minutes, squeeze as much liquid out of cucumber as possible. Add yogurt into cucumber.
4. Add garlic, salt and pepper. Whisk in oil. Finish with one tablespoon dill. trim you have on hand for the broth (if you have chicken bones those work great as well!)
1. Juice one lemon. Whisk or blend in olive oil. Season with salt and oregano.
Chicken Gyro Assembly
1. Marinate chicken in Latholemono. Let marinade for 1 hour prior to use.
2. Pan fry chicken until done. Remove from pan and chop up into small pieces. Add it back to the pan and sauté until lightly crispy. Season with salt, pepper, oregano and paprika.
3. Toast pita lightly in the oven or in a sauté pan. Add tzatziki, sliced tomato, shaved red onion and chicken.
1. Chop tomatoes into 6 pieces. Season tomatoes with salt and pepper.
2. Slice half of a red pepper, half of a cucumber and a quarter red onion and mix with tomatoes in a bowl.
3. Mix the tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, red onion generously with Extra Virgin Olive oil.
4. Finish with oregano and top with Feta cheese.
The Related Life is written and produced by Related Luxury Rentals. Be sure to follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for the latest events, news and announcements in your area, and tag us for a chance to be featured @therelatedlife and #therelatedlife.