Clean and Healthy Mushroom-Forward Recipes
Not only do mushrooms add a nice extra dose of warmth and flavor to every meal, they are also believed to have immunological benefits – something we could all use a little more of right now. Katzie Guy-Hamilton, the former Director of Food and Beverage at Equinox, shared two of her favorite mushroom-forward dishes you can make at home from her new cookbook "Clean Enough."
Roasted Mushrooms in Herb Vinegar
Makes 6 Servings
|∙ 1/3 cup Aged Balsamic Vinegar
∙ 10 Sprigs Thyme
∙ 1 clove Garlic, minced
∙ ½ teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper
∙ 2 Tablespoons Sherry Vinegar
∙ 1 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
|∙ ½ teaspoon Himalayan Sea Salt
∙ ½ teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
∙ 1 cup Shitake Mushrooms
∙ 2.5 cups White Button Mushrooms
∙ 2.5 cups Baby Portobello Mushrooms
∙ ½ cup Finely Chopped Parsley
1. Combine balsamic, garlic, red pepper, sherry vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper.
2. Add whole cleaned mushrooms and thyme.
3. Toss well to combine and allow to sit for ten minutes.
4. Preheat oven to 400ºF convection or 425ºF still.
5. Place mushrooms on a sheet pan and place in oven to roast for 30-40 minutes.
6. Remove mushrooms from oven and toss with fresh parsley before serving.
Makes 1 (Generous) Serving
|∙ 2 cups (150g) Mixed Mushrooms (Baby Portobello, Portobello, White Button, Shitake)
∙ 2 teaspoons Fresh Thyme Leaves
∙ ¼ teaspoon Grated Garlic
∙ ½ each Shallot, sliced paper thin
∙ 1/3 cup Vegetable Stock (sodium free)
∙ 2 teaspoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
|∙ ¼ teaspoon Himalayan Pink Salt
∙ ½ teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
∙ ½ teaspoon Lemon Juice
∙ 2 tsp Labne*
∙ 1 Tablespoon (5g) Manchego Cheese
∙ 1 inch Slice Miche (Whole Grain Sourdough)
1. Heat cast iron skillet on medium heat.
2. Add one and a half teaspoons of olive oil with shallots and garlic.
3. Sauté for one minute and then add thyme and mushrooms.
4. Sauté on medium high heat with salt and pepper for approximately 4 minutes.
5. Add vegetable stock and simmer for 3-4 more minutes.
6. Meanwhile, place sourdough under broiler, in toaster or on grill to toast.
7. Drizzle toast with the remaining ½ teaspoon olive oil and season with 1/8 tsp of salt and pepper.
8. Schmeare toast with labne.
9. Top toast with mushrooms, scraping ever last morsel out of the pan and top with shavings of Manchego.
As always, a sunny side up egg is welcome
*Labne is a yogurt cheese made from strained Greek yogurt. Check out the savory pantry section for an easy overnight Labne. Happy probiotics guts all around.
Cook alongside Katzie while she demonstrates both recipes below!
Recipe from "Clean Enough: Get Back to Basics and Leave Room for Dessert" © Katzie Guy-Hamilton, 2019. Photography © Brian Kennedy, 2019. Reprinted by permission of the publisher, The Experiment. Available wherever books are sold. experimentpublishing.com
The Related Life is written and produced by Related Luxury Rentals. Be sure to follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for the latest events, news and announcements in your area, and tag us for a chance to be featured @therelatedlife and #therelatedlife.